You are invited to join us at 3147 SW Hathaway Drive, Corvallis, OR 97333 on August 17th at 2pm for the Home Dedication for José, Dulce, and their three children! For more information please call 541-752-3354 ext. 300. Hope to see you there!
CONSTRUCTION PROJECT TEAM LEADER
Affiliate: Benton Habitat for Humanity Reports directly to: Construction Manager Work Schedule: based on projects – generally Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday Required meetings: none Personal vehicle required: Desirable
Position Summary: Provide leadership, training and motivation for volunteer crews on Construction projects. Prepare, maintain, and oversee all aspects of the construction process.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be well organized, self-motivated and have the ability to problem solve.
- A basic understanding of construction or landscaping trades needed for a specific project.
- Experience in leadership, training and motivation of volunteers is a plus.
- Ability to pull the site trailer to and from project locations.
- A basic understanding of Habitat for Humanity and commitment to the mission of the organization.
TASKS AND OBJECTIVES:
- Planning: Work with Construction Manager to plan work projects and ensure that materials and tools are available at the project location when needed
- Scheduling: Work with Construction Manager to schedule workday(s) with appropriately sized volunteer crews
- Supervision: Oversee construction or specific trade work at the project site
- Training: Provide on-the-job training and supervision for semiskilled and unskilled volunteers, exercising patience and respect for volunteers at all times. Must have ability to answer specific questions about the tasks at hand, as well as general questions about the project tasks.
- Safety: Train volunteers in the proper use of equipment and other safe construction practices such as climbing ladders. Monitor observation of safety rules.
- Ensure quality work: Work with volunteers to ensure quality in all work leaders should stress to volunteers the importance of quality construction.
- Assist in maintaining a positive, professional, safe, and harassment free work environment
- Serve as ambassador for Benton Habitat for Humanity
Please submit a cover letter and resume in pdf file format by Feb. 18 to email@example.com. No phone calls or walk-ins accepted. Thank you and we look forward to reading your resume!
1. Tell us, what are you working on?
I have been working with Tabitha, the Homeowner Services Manager and learning a lot. My main task so far has been aiding in the Homeowner Selection Process. I have been focusing on the intake of new applications and working with these families to make sure their applications are complete.
2. What have you enjoyed most about interning with BHFH?
The staff and volunteers are all very welcoming and kind. It’s also just a good feeling to know that my contributions, even if they are small, are helping to put very deserving families into affordable housing.
3. How does this internship help with your career exploration/interests?
Interning here at Benton Habitat for Humanity has taught me a lot about the needs of our community. Before this internship, I did not have a lot of knowledge about the housing need in Benton County.
4. What do most people not know about BHFH that they should?
I think that a lot of people do not know the extent that Habitat can help people; before I started interning here I was not aware that Habitat even had a Home Repair program. I also think that it is important for people to know that the people at Benton Habitat for Humanity build relationships with their clients that do not end once the projects are complete.
5. If you were boss for a day (here or anywhere) what would be your first action item?
I think the first thing that I would want to do if I were a boss somewhere, would be getting to know the perspectives from everyone we interact with, including employees, volunteers, previous clients, and potential clients. I think gaining an understanding of how an organization functions through an outside perspective would be helpful for me as a person in that position.